Food Safety Works
Safe Food Handler Program
The Food Safety Works Safe Food Handler Program was developed in 2001 with funding received through the Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service (CSREES) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Food Safety and Quality Initiative Program. Updated regularly to reflect changes in food code, the program has been used for over 10 years to successfully train individuals from a variety of settings in basic food safety and sanitation principles. To date, CSU Extension agents have conducted Food Safety Works trainings with over 5,000 retail food workers throughout Colorado. In addition to retail food establishments, the program is appropriate for use with high school or adult vocational-training programs, food banks, institutional food service, rehabilitation facilities, group homes, child care facilities, fair concessionaires and other volunteer organizations that handle food.
- Training Length: General program length is 2 hours, depending on number of activities included.
- Delivery Mode: Classroom setting using PowerPoint, accompanied by optional printed participant handbook and interactive activities.
- Languages Available: English and Spanish-updated in 2011; Chinese updated 2012.
- Interactive Activities: Class activity suggestions are included.
Materials have been updated in 2010 in accordance with the FDA Model Food Code. The CD-ROM contains PowerPoint® presentation, printable participant handbook, class activities, pre/post quiz, program evaluation form, sample certificate of completion, wallet-card template and sample marketing brochure. To order, mail a completed Material Order Form (downloadable below) and check payable to Colorado State University to the address provided.
Cost: CD-ROM: $25.00, includes shipping within USA. For orders outside the United States, additional shipping charges apply.
- Powerpoint Presentation (70slides) English/Spanish.
- Participant Handbook - copy-ready: 26 pgs double sided, on 81/2" x 11" paper then folded and stapled.
- Instructor Outline
- Materials Checklist
- Thermometer Calibration Guide
- Matching Temperatures Worksheet and Answer Key
- White Powders Labeling Activity and Answer Key
- Gelatin Cube Bacterial Growth Activity
- Pre and Post Quiz (12 Q) and Answer Key
- Program Evaluation and Leader Feedback Form
- Template-Certificate of Completion
- Template –Food Handler Wallet Card
- Sample Marketing Brochure
Download a Materials Order Form and mail along with your check payable to Colorado State University to the address provided on the form. Allow approximately 2 weeks delivery time.
Mary Schroeder, M.S., R.D., Extension Specialist-food safety
Dept. of Food Science & Human Nutrition. Colorado State University. Fort Collins, CO 80523-1571
(970) 491-7335. Email: email@example.com
Marisa Bunning, PhD., Assistant Professor, Extension Specialist
Dept.Food Science & Human Nutrition; Colorado State University; Fort Collins, CO 80523-1571
(970) 491-7180. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated Friday, April 19, 2013