Native Plant Reference List
Native Plant References
- Native Grasses For Use In Colorado Landscapes, #581
- Native Plant Reference List, #582
- Native Plant Vendors, #583
CSU Extension Fact Sheets
- Native Herbaceous Perennials for Colorado Landscapes, #7.242
- Native Shrubs for Colorado Landscapes, #7.422
- Native Trees for Colorado Landscape, #7.421
- Carter, J. and M. Leggit. Trees and Shrubs of Colorado. Johnson Books 1995.
- Carter, J. Common Southwestern Native Plants: An Identification Guide. Silver City, NM: Mimbres Publishing, 2003. (has some landscape uses, too)
- Guennel, G.K. Guide to Colorado Wildflowers. Vols 1& 2. Westcliffe Publishers 1995. Nelson, R.A. and R. Williams. A guide to Rocky Mtn Plants, 5th Ed. Roberts Rinehart Publishers, 2002.
- Weber, William et at. Flora of Colorado, Eastern Slope. 3rd Ed. University Press of Colorado 2001.
- Weber, William et at. Flora of Colorado, Western Slope. 3rd Ed. University Press of Colorado 2001.
- Weeds of the West, 9th Ed. Western Society of Weed Science. 2001.
- Wingate J. Rocky Mountain Flower Finder. 1990. Nature Study Guild Publishers.
- Wingate and Yeatts. Alpine Flower Flinder. 2003. Johnson Books.
Gardening with Native Plant Books
- Busco, J. and N. Morin. Native Plants for High-Elevation Western Gardens. Fulcrum Publishing, 2003.
- Huddleston, S. and M. Hussey. Grow Native: Landscaping With Native and Apt Plants of The Rocky Mountains. Fulcrum publishing 2003.
- Mee, W. et at. Water Wise: Native Plants for Intermountain Landscapes. Utah State University Press 2003.
- Phillips, Judith. Natural by Design. Museum of New Mexico Press 1995.
- Phillips, Judith. Plants for Natural Gardens. Museum of New Mexico Press 1995
- Colorado Native Plant Society (including lists of recommended native plants for landscaping and vendors at www.conps.org
- Colorado Native Plants Masters Program, CSU Extension at www.extension.colostate.edu/jefferson/npm/npm.shtml
- Colorado Plant Database at www.co.jefferson.co.us/coopext/intro.jsp
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service at http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/national/plantsanimals/plants/
CMG GardensNotes on Native Plants
- Native Grasses, #581
- Native Plant References, #582
- Native Plant Vendors, #583
- Reference and Study Questions: Native Plants, #580
- CMG GardenNotes are available online at www.cmg.colostate.edu
- Colorado Master Gardener/Colorado Gardener Certificate Training is made possible by a grant from the Colorado Garden Show, Inc.
- Colorado State University, U.S. Department of Agriculture, and Colorado counties cooperating
- Extension programs are available to all without discrimination.
- No endorsements of products mentioned is intended nor is criticism implied of products not mentioned.
- Copyright. 2012. Colorado Master Gardener Program, Colorado State University Extension. All Rights Reserved. CMG GardenNotes may be reproduced without change or additions, for nonprofit educational use.
Revised August 2012