Disaster Web Sites
Prepare for a disaster before it happens -- know what to expect, how to prepare, and how to cope afterwards. Bookmark this page as your quick reference to disaster information and agencies. For local information about floods or other natural disasters, contact your Colorado State University Extension county office or county government. See Markets & Weather for forecast information.
Government and Other Agencies
- American Red Cross: Programs and services, local chapters.
- Center for Disease Control: Prevention Guides for personal health and safety for earthquakes, extreme cold or heat, flood, hurricanes and tornadoes. Flood and hurricane information also in Spanish.
- Colorado Water Conservation Board: Flood Preparation. Tips, emergency assistance numbers, streamflow and snowpack data, more.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA): Mitigation, emergency preparedness, help after a disaster, reference library.
- Small Business Administration Disaster Assistance: Provides low-interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private, non-profit organizations to repair or replace property that has been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster.
- Drought Resources
- Emergency Preparedness Information: Resources for emergency preparedness.
- Extension Disaster Education Network: links to extension, federal, and other resources and information. Searchable.
- Fire Resources
- Flood Resources
- University of Florida: The Disaster Handbook, 1998 National Edition. Online as PDF files, or order print and CD-ROM version.
- University of Idaho: Responding to Idaho Disasters. Earthquake, fire, flood, hazardous materials, radiation, snow, tornado, volcano preparedness and recovery. links.
- University of Illinois Extension: Disaster Resources. Preparedness and recovery.
- Iowa State University Extension: Disaster Recovery Series. Farm, finance, health, home, stress.
- University of Minnesota: Provides the latest research-based information in response to disaster producing weather.
- North Carolina State University: Disaster Information Center. Preparedness, repairs, safety, stress.
- North Dakota State University Extension Service: Disaster education. Drought, floods, winter; coping for farm, home, stress.
- University of Wisconsin: The Disaster Handbook. Preparedness, repair, community issues.
Updated Monday, July 21, 2014